Alexa or Google Assistant demo on Matrix Voice with Raspberry Pi Zero W

Hi Guys,
I have been playing around a bit with my little matrix voice with ESP32, and it looks really promising!

I am, however, having some problems cross compiling my application for the raspberry pi zero w because it is ARMv6.

In light of this, I figured I might take a step back and see if I can get any of the other voice assistants working on this platform.

Has anyone successfully been able to set up either Alexa or Google Assistant on the Raspberry Pi Zero W?

If so, could you give me some pointers?

Thanks!

-Thomas

Hi @unicornmafia,
What application are you trying to cross compile?
You should not have any problem setting up a Raspberry Pi and MATRIX Voice ESP32 for the Alexa demo here on Hackster.

Please, can you share more details about what you are trying to accomplish?

I am trying to cross-compile the GRPC libraries for use with a custom C++ application. For our application, it is important for us to have a good ASR (speech to text) library. We use Google Cloud Speech, but this needs GRPC. It is simple to cross compile for ARMv7, but much harder for ARMv6.

Hello @unicornmafia. What distribution are you using? With Raspbian woody/stretch (and Raspberry PI 3) I’ve managed to compile grpc from the device. Takes a while but less than 3 hours I think.

Using most recent releases (rather than the HEAD of the repo).

BWT, why is it harder for ARMv6? Is compiling in the device an option?

Interesting. I’m using stretch on rpi3. I was trying to cross compile, but I could do it on the machine. I think I tried that and ran into problems. I could try it again. Which release of GRPC did you use?

ARMv6 is harder because all the default cross compile tools in debian and ubuntu use ARMv7 or ARMv4 (called armhf and armel respectively). GRPC compile seems to work fine with ARMv7, but when I try to use the tools for ARMv6 (from the rpi repo here: tools/arm-bcm2708 at master · raspberrypi/tools · GitHub) GRPC runs into some problems. I’d give it a good chance that I’m doing something wrong, but either way, it’s way more complicated than using the built-in cross-compilers. Apparently, “armel” cross compilers will work, but as they are ARMv4, they don’t do hard floats (and lack other optimizations) therefore they will be slower.

Thanks for the help, I’ll try to get it compiling on the actual hardware. :slight_smile:

Let us know how it goes. I would go with:

Thanks for your help on this. So far, I’ve got my demo app working properly with the matrix voice on the rpi3! (by building everything on the pi). yay!! Now onto the rpi0w!

ok. my demo works also on the rpi zero w! hurray!

1 Like

Hello @unicornmafia,

Great news :tada:, could share your results with the community?

Thank You,

Kevin Patino

Sure! I built everything on the rpi3, and then just switched my sd card into the rpi0w and it ran perfectly! Took a long time, but it seems like it was worth it.