AlexaPi Matrix Creator Help

Hi guys,

I created the AlexaPi tutorial with the Matrix Creator and it worked!

I am now trying to do this tutorial instead so that I don’t have to rerun those 3 terminals every time it shuts down. This tutorial automatically powers the AlexaPi on start up:

However, this tutorial is designed for a USB Mic and I am having trouble overwriting it to use my Matrix Creator. The same steps from the original tutorial don’t seem to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

I haven’t used that project but glancing at the source really quick it seems all you need to do is make a change to this line in the config file.
input_device: "default"
change it to point to the beamformed channel from the mic array
input_device: “mic_channel8”

Hi there,
How do I access the config file?

Thanks,
Megan

I found the config file, however, my permission is denied to make any changes to it? Do you know why?

The file should be here https://github.com/alexa-pi/AlexaPi/wiki/Configuration-file
To change it you need to access using :
sudo nano /etc/opt/AlexaPi/config.yaml

and change the input_device: "default" for input_device: “mic_channel#” with:

• [0-7] : one of the real 8 microphones
  • 8 : beamforming channel.

Yoel

After change the input_device: “default” for input_device: “mic_channel8” in config.yaml
still cannot start the AlexaPi. the error:
ALSA lib pcm_file_c:358:(snd_pcm_filewrite_bytes) write failed: Bad file descriptor
python: pcm_file.c:397: snd_file_add_frames: Assertion `file->wbuf_used_bytes < file->wburt_size_bytes’ failed.
Aborted

Hi @codyli2002hk,

The last post was from 4 month ago. To have a better idea of your setup, can you share the following info?

• What board are you using (MATRIX Creator or MATRIX Voice)
  • What guide are you using to setup Alexa. The one in Hackster for MATRIX Creator?

Thank you

I am using Matrix Voice.
follow the matrix-io/matrix-creator-quickstart install install_core.sh and alexa-pi/AlexaPi

sudo systemctl status AlexaPi.service
● AlexaPi.service - Alexa client for all your devices
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/AlexaPi.service; enabled)
Active: failed (Result: signal) since Sat 2018-02-10 01:42:13 HKT; 39s ago
Docs: https://github.com/alexa-pi/AlexaPi/wiki
Process: 606 ExecStart=/usr/bin/python /opt/AlexaPi/src/main.py --daemon (code=killed, signal=ABRT)
Main PID: 606 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

Feb 10 01:42:05 raspberrypi python[606]: INFO: Connection OK
Feb 10 01:42:05 raspberrypi python[606]: INFO: AVS token: Requesting a new one
Feb 10 01:42:06 raspberrypi python[606]: INFO: AVS token: Obtained successfully
Feb 10 01:42:06 raspberrypi python[606]: ALSA lib pcm_file.c:358:(snd_pcm_file_write_bytes) write failed: Bad file descriptor
Feb 10 01:42:13 raspberrypi python[606]: ALSA lib pcm_file.c:358:(snd_pcm_file_write_bytes) write failed: Bad file descriptor
Feb 10 01:42:13 raspberrypi python[606]: ALSA lib pcm_file.c:358:(snd_pcm_file_write_bytes) write failed: Bad file descriptor
Feb 10 01:42:13 raspberrypi python[606]: python: pcm_file.c:397: snd_pcm_file_add_frames: Assertion `file->wbuf_used_bytes < file->wbuf_… failed.
Feb 10 01:42:13 raspberrypi systemd[1]: AlexaPi.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Feb 10 01:42:13 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Unit AlexaPi.service entered failed state.

Not sure if you found this repo in our documentation but we an Alexa guide on Hackster that has all the setup for MATRIX Voice.

Check it out and let me know :slight_smile: