Building Raspbian Buster Support

Hello MATRIX Community,

Raspbian Buster just came out, and we are working hard to build out support for MATRIX libraries to be compatible with it.

In the meantime, we recommend using Raspbian Stretch.

• Here is our kit image with Raspbian Stretch Desktop that has all the MATRIX packages pre-installed
  • Here is the blank Raspbian Stretch archive from Raspberry Pi

Thank you for your patience and support. We will provide an update soon!

Best,
The MATRIX Team

1 Like

I guess those images don’t work on Raspberry Pi 4, correct?

Correct! The Pi 4 only works with Raspbian Buster.

We now have partial support for Buster. More testing needs to be done, but the following packages have been updated if you want to try/test!

Snips is currently having issues, so we’re waiting on Snips updates for that, and some other third party services may not work as well.

Best,
Samreen

Is there any update on the support of the Matrix Creator on Buster?

@Michael,

Yes! The MATRIX Creator works with Raspbian Buster. Keep in mind though that many of the voice and other services we integrate with have not yet been ported over. The MATRIX packages should work though.

Best,
Samreen

Ok, I guess that is the problem that I am running into. I have followed this tutorial (https://www.hackster.io/matrix-labs/matrix-voice-and-matrix-creator-running-google-assistant-e9751e) using Raspbian Buster. Installation works fine, but upon running google-matrixio-assistant-hotword I get the error Segmentation fault

I did some more research I found some evidence that the Segmentation Fault points at the device not being registered properly at Google. However I was not able to solve it with the suggestions that I found. I tried registering the device using the command line tool instead of the website, without any luck.

@Michael,

Yes, it seems Google Assistant is having this issue with Raspbian Buster. I will give it a go this weekend and let you know if I make any progress with troubleshooting.

Best,
Samreen

Hi @Michael,

I tried Google Assistant on a Pi 3 using Buster and found that it does work in general, save some issues I am working through. Will test on a Pi 4 as well.

When you followed our guide, did you use Google Assistant Service or Google Assistant Library when going to “configure the developer project”?

Google Assistant Library is what our google-matrixio-assistant-hotword example is based on but that library has now been deprecated by Google.

I tried it with the Google Assistant Service and will be creating another google-matrixio-assistant-hotword example to work with it (the API is a bit different).

I tested the Google Assistant Service version of the setup by trying one of their sample programs as shown here. I did have to add rate 16000 under the hw line in pcm.speaker in the /etc/asound.conf file to get the sample program to run, in case you want to try this yourself before we update the guide.

Best,
Samreen

Hi @Samreen,

Thanks for diving into this. I used the library, while being aware that it was depricated. This lead to me getting thesegmentation fault error.
I also gave the Google Assistant Service a try, but was not able to configure the sound card properly.

I’ll try out your suggestion shortly!

@Michael,

How has this been for you?

We found that the Google Assistant Service actually does not offer hotword detection but rather a push-to-talk model. We are also having some buffer underflow & kernel panic issues for this on Buster that we are currently troubleshooting.

Best,
Samreen

I have reinstalled my Raspberry Pi with Stretch, subsequently following the tutorial. It works again, but the strange thing is that upon the command “Hey Google, turn everything on” (in Dutch; I have a group called everything), it responds with “sorry, I didn’t get any response”, but still turns everything on. I am wondering if this could have something to do with the deprecated library.

I haven’t attempted anymore getting it to work on Buster. Last time, everything went well, up until running the hotword command for the first time. Then the device should be registered, but instead it gave a segmentation fault. On Stretch this works perfectly.

@Samreen , I am now working with a Pi4 on Buster and Matrix Voice. What would you recommend for getting google assistant to work? Work with the deprecated python library?

Also, would it still be possible to work with hotword icw the Google Assistant Service?
Thanks for your support!

By the way, the issue with the response is resolved. Apparently it was an issue on Google’s side.

1 Like

Hey @Michael,

As far as I can tell, the deprecated Google Assistant Library doesn’t work on Buster.

Google Assistant Service does work on Buster but all the issues with it have not been resolved on Google’s side yet. For example, it has a buffer underflow issue for me (others as well) which causes a kernel panic after the first round of exchanges with the assistant on the pushtotalk example.

Currently, Google Assistant Service does not have a hotword feature, but it seems some people have tried to integrate it with the Snowboy hotword.

I am following this GitHub issue for updates on the Google Assistant Service and to see what other people are doing.

I would recommend installing the Google Assistant Service on Buster and trying the pushtotalk example first. If that works, then try a Snowboy integration for hotword. If you also have buffer underflow issues, try these troubleshooting steps to solve it.

I will keep you updated on whether I make any progress or see any improvements in the Google Assistant repos.

Best,
Samreen