Building Raspbian Buster Support

Hey @rysmith0315,

Welcome to the community!

Last I checked, Alexa SDK still did not have support for Buster. This article seems to have some sort of workaround (find with Ctrl+F “Buster”) that I have yet to try out and test with MATRIX devices. You could try it out.

Let me know how it goes!

Best,
Samreen

I think there may be something else going on.

I downgraded to to stretch and have the same problem. arecord/aplay both work with the default device but portaudio is still defaulting to the first card that has an input. In this case, snd-dummy.

UPDATE It appears that changes to ALSA in the Linux Kernel 4.0.19 has broken PortAudio. The fix is to downgrade the kernel to 4.0.14 and re-install the matrix kernel modules. (stretch will install the new kernel if you run apt-get upgrade)

Has anyone managed to get any of the mic_demo_direct or mic related demos working… on pi4 buster… ? am unable to run any of the mic demos to work … i can get all everloops and led related projects to work though…

Hi @varungujjar,

I indeed was able to replicate your issue and am investigating it. I will let you know when I have an update.

I was able to get the basic HAL record to file example working though. Did that work for you as well?

In the meantime, you should be able to use the MATRIX kernel modules for microphone related algorithms on Buster. Installation instructions here.

Thank you for your patience!

Best,
Samreen

Hi,
I want to make an alexa device with raspberry pi 4 and Matrix Voice. Matrix Voice is not getting compiled on RPI4. Does Matrix Voice support RPI4(Buster)?

Thanks

I’m trying to change my Matrix Voice & Mycroft.AI to a Raspberry Pi 4 (RPI 4) with 4GB. I installed the latest Picroft image (based on Buster), and the matrixio-kernel-modules and pulseaudio. But when checking ‘pactl list sources short’ the Matrix Voice is not recognized. Is this issue known @Samreen ?

Hi @SpaceGlider,

Our matrixio-kernel-module package was recently updated and there were some issues during the update that have temporarily broken the package. This is likely what is causing your problem.

We are working on fixing this and will notify you as soon as it has been resolved. A temporary solution could be compiling the kernel modules from source for your project.

Before doing this, I would recommend a purge of the package installation.

sudo apt purge matrixio-kernel-modules

We apologize for any inconvenience caused. Please reach out if issues persist!

Best,
Samreen

When I follow the instructions to build myself, I get the following error:

pi@picroft:~/matrixio-kernel-modules/src $ make && make install
make -C /lib/modules/4.19.86-v7l+/build M=/home/pi/matrixio-kernel-modules/src modules
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.19.86-v7l+/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [Makefile:5: all] Error 2

@SpaceGlider,

Apologies for the delayed response, was at a conference!

Testing kernel issues today and will get back to you by the end of the week.

Best,
Samreen

@SpaceGlider,

The MATRIX kernel modules should now be working again on Buster.

Please purge what you have and re-install the kernel modules.

sudo apt purge matrixio-kernel-modules
sudo apt update
sudo apt install matrixio-kernel-modules

Let me know how it goes!

Could you also send me the output of uname -a? Your Linux kernels seem to be way ahead of the default for Buster, seemingly into the beta branch (should be around 4.19.75). Did you run rpi-update at any point? It takes you into the bleeding edge of the Linux kernel which can break many packages.

Best,
Samreen

Hi @Samreen

so I was on:
Linux picroft 4.19.86-v7l+ #1283 SMP Fri Nov 29 18:37:40 GMT 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

I haven’t run rpi-update, just the regular apt-get update / apt-get upgrade. I did use the picroft image and installer though so not sure what all that did in the background.

I did this:
install --reinstall raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel

And then got back to this
Linux picroft 4.19.75-v7l+ #1270 SMP Tue Sep 24 18:51:41 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

Now everything works! Still not sure where that kernel upgrade came from…

I all i’ve successfully install matrix voice on PI3. But on PI4 with buster i’ve an issue. i’m starting with a new buster install, and when i execute sudo apt install matrixio-kernel-modules, i’ve this issue:

Loading new matrixio-kernel-modules-0.2.3 DKMS files…
It is likely that 5.4.51-v7l+ belongs to a chroot’s host
Building for 5.4.51+, 5.4.51-v7+, 5.4.51-v7l+ and 5.4.51-v8+
Building initial module for 5.4.51+
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.4.51+ (armv7l)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/matrixio-kernel-modules/0.2.3/build/make.log for more information.
dpkg: erreur de traitement du paquet matrixio-kernel-modules (–configure) :

• installed matrixio-kernel-modules package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10*
    Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l’exécution :
  • matrixio-kernel-modules*
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

i’ve tried several things, but still this issue. Could someone help?

hi seems that i’ve found a kind of fix for the moment;
i’ve followed this method [NO LONGER NECESSARY] Kernel Modules 4.19 Workaround

with
wget -q --show-progress -O “rpi_kernel_4-19.deb” http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/r/raspberrypi-firmware/raspberrypi-kernel_1.20200114-1_armhf.deb
wget -q --show-progress -O “rpi_kernel_headers_4-19.deb” http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/r/raspberrypi-firmware/raspberrypi-kernel-headers_1.20200114-1_armhf.deb

is there an issue with kernel 5.4.51 ?

@poobe,

Yes, it seems like there is some issue with Linux kernel 5.4. We are investigating that now and will push updates soon.

For now, it’s good to know that pushing back to 4.19 is working. Thank you for trying that. I will test and post the temp solution shortly.

Best,
Samreen

Hi Samreen, thanks for your support and feedback.

Hi, I am on the stock Feb 2020 release which is:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -r
4.19.118-v7l+

I did updates but not upgrades. And I still encounter the errors.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt install matrixio-kernel-modules
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
matrixio-kernel-modules
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 87 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/20.6 kB of archives.
After this operation, 115 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously unselected package matrixio-kernel-modules.
(Reading database … 207623 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/matrixio-kernel-modules_0.2.3_all.deb …
Unpacking matrixio-kernel-modules (0.2.3) …
Setting up matrixio-kernel-modules (0.2.3) …
Loading new matrixio-kernel-modules-0.2.3 DKMS files…
It is likely that 4.19.118-v7l+ belongs to a chroot’s host
Building for 4.19.118+, 4.19.118-v7+, 4.19.118-v7l+, 4.19.118-v8+, 5.4.51+, 5.4.51-v7+ and 5.4.51-v7l+
Module build for kernel 4.19.118+ was skipped since the
kernel headers for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
Module build for kernel 4.19.118-v7+ was skipped since the
Module build for kernel 4.19.118-v7l+ was skipped since the
Module build for kernel 4.19.118-v8+ was skipped since the
Building initial module for 5.4.51+
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.4.51+ (armv7l)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/matrixio-kernel-modules/0.2.3/build/make.log for more information.
dpkg: error processing package matrixio-kernel-modules (–configure):
installed matrixio-kernel-modules package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
Errors were encountered while processing:
matrixio-kernel-modules
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Do I have to further downgrade? Seems it is not finding the kernel headers?

@dianalow,

Thank you for letting me know. I think you may have to install the 4.19 headers even if you don’t upgrade. Let me test this and get back to you.

Best,
Samreen

Hi @Samreen,

Thanks for the reply!

I did install the kernel headers before that, and seems they don’t detect it.

In the end, I resorted to the https://community.matrix.one/t/no-longer-necessary-kernel-modules-4-19-workaround/2413 and used the kernel version in @poobe’s post and that worked for me.

Still would like to understand why the later versions of 4.19 didn’t work though…

Hi @dianalow,

I got the MATRIX kernel modules working with 4.19.118 using the steps here. I used the raspberry pi kernels and kernel headers from 2020-05-28 here since 2020-05-27 is the last date displayed on the Raspbian OS download page.

Best,
Samreen

Thank you @Samreen for the help!

1 Like