Cannot do matrix ping

Hi, I want to ask, how to solve the problem step by step and in detail, when i do matrix ping, the result in my ubuntu terminal that i run in windows 10 is:

Matrix CLI Error: TypeError: Cannot read property ‘message’ of null
at /usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/lib/app.js:163:29
at /usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:726:13
at /usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:52:16
at /usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:269:32
at /usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:44:16
at /usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:723:17
at /usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:167:37
at Socket. (/usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/matrix-node-sdk/utils/Socket.js:28:13)
at Socket.Emitter.emit (/usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/component-emitter/index.js:133:20)
at Socket.onClose (/usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/engine.io-client/lib/socket.js:715:10) TypeError: Cannot read property ‘message’ of null
at /usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/lib/app.js:163:29
at /usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:726:13
at /usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:52:16
at /usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:269:32
at /usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:44:16
at /usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:723:17
at /usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:167:37
at Socket. (/usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/matrix-node-sdk/utils/Socket.js:28:13)
at Socket.Emitter.emit (/usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/component-emitter/index.js:133:20)
at Socket.onClose (/usr/lib/node_modules/matrix-cli/node_modules/engine.io-client/lib/socket.js:715:10)

i also found the similar problem in this link;

but it’s not clear enough for me since i am very newbie using this device and do not know much about programming. Thanks

Hi @elluthfi,

Are you still having these issues?
Can you explain a bit mre how is your setup? Where are you running the CLI, in a Ubuntu or Windows PC?

Yoel

Hi - I having the exact same error.
Just received my creator and voice boards.
Did the “Installation & Registration” guide.
On pi, running 0.17.0, and get a “ready”
On Win 10 running matrix cli 1.7.0.
All on rc. To me it looks like an exception in the code.
I am trying to figure out how it all fit together.
Any hel appreciated. BR Kims

Same here. Installed Lite. Got the sensorTest app to install, start, and stop, but the Matrix just keeps blinking its blue light like its not really doing anything.

When I ping it, I get the “Matrix CLI Error: TypeError: Cannot read property ‘message’ of null” error.

The device continues to say offline on the app and OK=no in the “matrix list devices” table. It makes me think that Bluetooth isn’t working or something.

@kims If you find that error, try logging in again via CLI.

I have the same problem. Still not be able to make it work.

Same error @canh? If so, please try to login again.

No I retried many times without success.

pi@raspberrypi:~/matrix-os$ NODE_ENV=rc node index.js
Environment Selected: rc
Loading… device
Loading… event
Loading… service
Not using device data from db, using MATRIX_DEVICE_ID and MATRIX_DEVICE_SECRET instead!
Starting as device: <device_id>
hb: sen> [] svc> []
Installed Apps:
MXSS Connected: https://mxss.admobilize.com
MALOS/CORE Unavailable
=<[^/^]>= [<device_id>] ready
[****************************]

|/| || | |/ | / [o__o]
| | | | | | \ | _/_ v0.17.1-22211c5
MATRIX OS can be upgraded. 0.17.0 available! 0.17.1

Hi Sean

I decided to try with HAL https://matrix-io.github.io/matrix-documentation/matrix-hal/getting-started/installation/ and the demo worked. After that I came back to matrix-os and launch testApp then it worked for me. Matrix ping now gave me flash leds so that seemed to work too, except that I still got “Matrix CLI Error: TypeError: Cannot read property ‘message’ of null” message. At least now I know that there is no problem with the hardware.

I got it semi working as you after upgrading some packages. Not sure if that is what fixed it, but it definitely didn’t work before and then it did after - but still gave me the “null” message on ping.

Out of frustration of not getting anywhere, I made a tutorial to at least get as far as I got:

1 Like

Hello @sjmill01

Nice video!!! I saw that you have this error in MALOS: *** stack smashing detected ***: malos terminated

Did you try with an update upgrade commands?

You could check the version of the package with: dpkg -l | grep matrixio.

Regards,

Kevin Patino

Yes. I got my nodejs a little out of whack, but after doing a few updates and reboots, it sorted itself out.

I still get the errors on ping, though, that the original poster had:

C:\Users\Sean>matrix ping
Matrix CLI Error: TypeError: Cannot read property ‘message’ of null
at C:\Users\Sean\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\matrix-cli\lib\app.js:163:29
at C:\Users\Sean\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\matrix-cli\node_modules\async\lib\async.js:726:13
at C:\Users\Sean\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\matrix-cli\node_modules\async\lib\async.js:52:16
at C:\Users\Sean\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\matrix-cli\node_modules\async\lib\async.js:269:32
at C:\Users\Sean\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\matrix-cli\node_modules\async\lib\async.js:44:16
at C:\Users\Sean\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\matrix-cli\node_modules\async\lib\async.js:723:17

Fixed.

Please run matrix update. This one has taken a while to resolve, we thank you for your patience.