Can't connect to Matrix Voice ESP32 from Raspberry Pi

I bought Matrix Voice with an ESP32 chip and I’ve been trying to program it with no success.

I’m following the steps described here https://matrix-io.github.io/matrix-documentation/matrix-voice/esp32/ but after installing all the tools on a Pi 3B+ the esptool.py command fails because it cannot connect to the device.

$ sudo voice_esp32_enable
$ sudo esptool.py --chip esp32 --port /dev/ttyS0 --baud 115200 --before default_reset --after hard_reset erase_flash
esptool.py v2.8
Serial port /dev/ttyS0
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header

Some forum research pointed me to the following command to check the version of the board:

$ /usr/share/matrixlabs/matrixio-devices/fpga_info 
can't open any device
FPGA IDENTIFY = 0
FPGA VERSION = 10bc4

I also checked to see if anyone was using ttyS0 but didn’t seem so and I also checked that the packages for matrixio-creator-init were correctly installed and they were. I also tried 3 different USB cables with no changes.

Do I need to do anything to get the device to connect?

What do you mean with:

Where did you use the USB cable for?

I used it to connect the Voice to the Pi, but later today I connected it directly to the GPIO pins on the RPI and it worked flawlessly.

I’m now stuck trying to figure out how to install your MQTT audio streamer (left an issue on the repo)