Cool Mic.Array, How can one use it?

I have not found, will keep looking, for a way to use Matrix Voice as a Microphone, ideally with all the cool stuff that determined me to buy it. Nirvanally, headless, wireless (I assumed that wireless means wireless), and over the web (streaming a meeting, using it as a microphone, recognised as such in the browser).

I don’t know what the app is for, only that signing (forg.p || registering) does not compute.

I’ll re-embark on this quest tomorrow. Using it as a powerful microphone and not throwing ‘the customer’ in the waters of app development should be your main tutorial. (Alexas etc. can be done with any mic.)

So, any clear instructions on how to use this as a microphone? Link?

I suggest adding it to a raspberry pi 3, put raspbian stretch on it and then follow this:

That worked for me, the voice showed up as input device when doing arecord -l

1 Like

Is there any way to make it available and recognizable by the system as a microphone? Recording raw is useful when further processing (speech-to-text etc.), but for time being I want to use it as a, let’s say, skype microphone.

I did set it up, ran LED stuff and erratic microphones.

Is the USB only for - power?

Will have a look. Thanks for the answer.

Hi @parseb,

The USB connector on the MATRIX Voice board is just for power.

The MATRIX Voice was not design as a of-the-shelf microphone for PCs but an idea could be to use the Bluetooth in the ESP32 module as a Bluethooth Microphone (using A2DP profile). There is an raw example in the Espressif official github repo. I will give this a try I will let you know. Will be pretty cool being able to use the Voice as a Bluetooth Microphone.

-Yoel

1 Like

Sorry, in my example I was just referring to audio streaming using bluetooth a2dp profile from the ESP32 without even using a Raspberry Pi. So the MATRIX Voice board could be alone just powered by the USB connector.

-Yoel

@yoelrc88
I understad what you mean, and YES, that sounds great if Matrix Voice behaves as a Bluetooth microphone. I wrote to @Romkabouter, tested recording sound with arecord and the mics seem to work nicely.

The Ideal case is the one you described, especially if Voice can possibly work as a ‘standard’ (or even less than standard) bluetooth mic. PLEASE let me know if it works, and how (context/software requirements).

I did not manage to flash it over lan. Not recognized by USB. Xtensa-esp32-elf fails on raspbian.

How do you flash over network. Any specific (not circumstantial) config instructions?
(UBUNTU -» raspbian via LAN ?)

My guess would be that in this example there is some configuration that I am missing when trying to flash the one mentioned by @yoelrc88.

I tried that example and that worked fine, but it was with a Mac OS not Linux
What error do you get?

I don’t understand how I can flash the chip from my pc through the network, raspberry py -» Voice since the make menuconfig Serial Flasher target is allways local, default ttyUSB0. (On Raspberry I have ttyMatrix0)

I reinstalled my OS. What other tools do I need? Does matrix cli make it local?

In the esp-idf example how do I configure the serial port to reach the voice when it is attached to RPi and local 192.168.1.x?

Check the deploy.mk, you will see it flashed via ssh to your Pi
Did you follow the tutorial?

Managed to do the a2dp_source scaffold. Though I cannot know if it fully works since it’s a blank slate, thereby unrecogniseable as a microphone by the OS.

I’m just kind of sad that there’s no complete example of this. It would take a lot of time that I don’t have to understand it and make it myself. Would be to late since I planned to use it for a specific event.

Thanks for the pointers @Romkabouter.