First and last second is cut

Hello,

Alexa is running very fine on my Matrix Voice. But the first and the last second of the Alexa answer is
always cut. I switched the debug mode off in the meanwhile, but with no result.

Any idea how to get the complete answer?

Many thanks for your hint
Walter

Heeelllooo,

Is there somebody?

I assumed that this would be a forum of a powerful and highly motivated startup company. But over 20 days with no reaction is very disappointing.

At least, I have expected an answer like: “The implementation of Alexa is not yet perfect; you have to take it with the uncomplete speech as it is”

Marketing and support could always be improved!

Regards
Walter

Hi Walter,

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the late response.

Regarding the Alexa problem, I haven’t run into that problem myself before. Alexa is always upgrading so it might be a new issue. I will test the Alexa guide myself and get back to you within the week.

Best,
Samreen

Hello Samreen,

Many Thanks for your support. I am very interested in your test result.

Best regards
Walter

Hi Walter,

Quick question. Do you have anything connected to the HDMI port of the Raspberry Pi which is running this?

Sometimes being connected to HDMI will cut out audio.

Hi Samreen,

Yes, the HDMI monitor is connected and it is used for the Alexa output.
Do you think, this would be the reason for the cut?

Many thanks and best regards
Walter

Yes, that is most likely the case.

Could you try disconnecting the HDMI and playing the audio with a 3.5mm jack speaker? You may need to reboot your device for it to work.

You can see the Alexa terminal output by SSH-ing into the Pi from a personal computer. Here is a guide on how to enable SSH. Your Pi and PC just have to be connected to the same WiFi for it to work. You can set up SSH and find your Pi’s IP through your monitor before disconnecting.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Samreen

Hi Samreen,

Many thanks for your hint!

I did connect a speaker to the jack and reboot the system. But now happened a very strange effect:
Alexa spoke very slowly with a deep voice so I could not understood, what she said. It looks like the system is in debug mode and very slow.

I made some tests with different configuration of alsamixer, but without any effect.

Any idea?

Best regards
Walter

Hi Walt,

Not sure if you’ve already looked at this, but I did a quick search and it seems other people have also had problems with Alexa speaking slowly as shown in the thread here.

Somebody suggests the following in the thread:

This may be a side effect of our current workaround to get Audible working. Can you please turn on audioSink on MediaPlayer.cpp line 667 and see if it fixes your problem? Please replace the following line:

g_object_set(m_pipeline.audioSink, “sync”, FALSE, NULL);

by:

g_object_set(m_pipeline.audioSink, “sync”, TRUE, NULL);

Maybe try the above and let us know how it goes. Otherwise, it seems a fresh install seemed to work for most people.

Best,
Samreen

Hello Samreen,

Many thanks for your hint.
Because I am offline during the next days, I can perform the test next week.

Best regards
Walter

Hello Samreen,

I have modified the parameter from FALSE to TRUE, but without any success. But I got the following error messages:
#############################

Connecting…

#############################

########################################

Alexa is currently idle!

########################################

#####################################

Client not connected!

#####################################

#################################################

NOTIFICATION INDICATOR STATE: OFF

#################################################

ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition ‘cards.bcm2835_alsa.pcm.front.0:CARD=0’
ALSA lib conf.c:4528:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:5007:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM front
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition ‘cards.bcm2835_alsa.pcm.surround51.0:CARD=0’
ALSA lib conf.c:4528:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:5007:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory

And a lot more!
I tried with different sound cards in alsamixer without any effect. Could not reproduce the old status.

Any idea?

Many thank and best regards
Walter

Hi,

I tried to get it run again with the prebuild image, but ther is no startauth.sh. Why?

Best regards
Walter

Hi @walt22,

Are you following this Hackster guide?

Instead of startauth.sh, this image uses the setup.sh file with config.txt to connect with Amazon, install the rest of the required dependencies, and runs it using startsample.sh.

I just followed the guide with the image instead of manual installation and was able to get it working.

Few tips:

• I didn’t update and upgrade, not sure if doing that will make or break anything. I did Step 1, then went straight to Step 4.
  • When you run
bash ./startsample.sh

Many messages will scroll by quickly, scroll upwards to the part that says something like the following and put in the code you get on the website as directed while the script is running. Try to do this within a minute.

######################################################
#       > > > > > NOT YET AUTHORIZED < < < < <       #
######################################################
############################################################################################
#     To authorize, browse to: 'https://amazon.com/us/code' and enter the code: {XXXX}     #
############################################################################################

Hi Samreen,

You are the sunshine in my dark of problems!
Many thanks for your replay. I will try it out and letyou know the results.

Best regards
Walter