Flash with Arduino IDE

H there,

Is there anyway to program the esp32 with Arduino IDE? (I use a Mac, but that should not matter)

Well, nobody? :smiley:

This should be a good starting point https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp32

Thnx for the reply, but I already did that :wink:

The problem is actually: How can I connect my Voice to my mac (or pc or whatever is used) so that it will show up on /tty/S0 and which board should I select ?

Sure, thats the hard part :slight_smile:

I see two options:

1. Just getting the hex file after building the arduino ino programm, copying that to the Pi and then flashing the ESP32 from there. I found this example

2. Actually sharing the Serial connection frmo the Rasp Pi to your computer and just using the Arduino IDE to flash. check out here

PD: I havent tested any pf this. Please, let me know how this goes.

-Yoel

Those are actually good leads! Thanks, I will update my results :smiley:

In the meanwhile I have found another way, use the ESP demo and build it.
In the build folder there will be 2 bin files.
From your IDE, export the bin and rename it to match the demo bin. Make deploy :slight_smile:

I will post a more detailed version

Nice … Looking forward to seeing the progress

I have had some good results over the weekend, but I want to try other methods as well.

The way this worked for me at this point:

• First build an example from the esp32 examples, follow the instructions :slight_smile:
  • Create a new arduino sketch, I have create a simple startup which just connects to my wifi
  • In Arduino IDE, export compiled library.
  • From the esp32 example, copy build/bootloader/bootloader.bin and build/partitions_singleapp.bin to the export folder of the arduino sketch. There should be 3 bin files then
  • I have examined what the deploy.mk command does, it pipes a tar file to the Pi via ssh, untars it and then flashed those bins. I have refactored it a bit.
  • My command was tar cf - *.bin | ssh pi@192.168.178.81 ‘tar xf - -C /tmp;sudo voice_esp32_reset;voice_esptool --chip esp32 --port /dev/ttyS0 --baud 115200 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash -u --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 40m --flash_size detect 0x1000 /tmp/bootloader.bin 0x10000 /tmp/matrix_voice.ino.esp32.bin 0x8000 /tmp/partitions_singleapp.bin’
  • adapt the matrix_voice.ino.esp32.bin to fit your sketch and execute it.
  • Voice is flashed!

After the first succes I went on and the sketch now also lights up the leds and MQTT.
The MQTT was the main reason I wanted to try this, the libraries on c++ gave me some troubles when I subscribed to a topic which sends wav files. When the esp32 received such a large buffer, it rebooted, regardless of my max packet size (2000, while a message of 46000 or so is being received)
Then I saw the implementation of PubSubClient for arduino also has implemented streams and other differences, so I wanted to try that.

The voice now can handle these large messages without rebooting, so that looks promising :slight_smile:

edit: also reboots… back to the drawing board. I think I will try sharing the serial port of the Pi to my mac with socat :slight_smile:

I was thinking about why the Voice keeps rebooting and then I thought the incoming message from the Snips platform was just to big to handle (it publishes a wav file)
That would kill the incoming memory buffer, so I started looking for others solutions.

On of those was trying to implement a ring buffer of some kind, but it suddenly struck me that I needed another type of mqtt client, namely an ASYNCH client.

I am having great succes by using this: https://github.com/marvinroger/async-mqtt-client
The only thing I need is that the Voice does not reboot and post a message to a playFinished topic.
This is working now :sunglasses:

I am now implementing the use of the everloop on hotword detection, but if someone from the team reads this:

• would really, really, really be happy when the audio jack outputs will work and if there is a small example on how to use it standalone

Repo of my new code:

Victory :slight_smile:

I have got a fully functional Snips Audio Server now, with green leds on hotword detection and blue on idle!
I have got some ideas, one of them being able to play the bytes received through the headphone output.
Any news on it? I assume we cannot use dacWrite at this point?

I also created a version that can be used with OTA.
Very nice because you do not need the Voice attached to the Pi anymore.

I will be implementing some ideas over the next weeks, but the feature I really want to implement is using the headphone jack to output the sounds.
While that is still under development, I will also try and print a nice case for it to build a Echo Dot like device :slight_smile:

Follow up!

Current features:

• Runs standalone, NO raspberry Pi is needed after flashing this program
  • Ledring starts RED (no wifi connection), then turns BLUE (Idle mode, with wifi connection)
  • Ledring turns GREEN when the hotword is detected, back to BLUE when going to idle
  • Uses an asynchronous MQTT client for the playBytes topic (large messages which cannot be handled by synchronous clients)
  • Uses a synchronous MQTT client for the audiostream. (async leads to errors)
  • OTA Updating
  • Dynamic brightness and colors for idle, hotword, updating and disconnected
    -example: Example: {“brightness”:20,“idle”:[240,210,17,0],“hotword”:[173,17,240,0],“update”:[0,255,255,0]}
    -with this, it is possible to adjust the brightness when the room is dark or bright (day/night)
  • Reboot device by sending hashed password

I also implemented a task with a rotation animation, but that is not used yet.

Is there any news about the audio output?
I also would like to now that when that is fixed, it will also be possible to use the small left /right connectors?

While waiting for audio output, I have managed to flash this program to the Voice:

And it paired and played the wave file on my bluetooth headset!
So the next big step will be to play audio via Bluetooth!

Small update for anyone who finds it interesting.
After a couple of days struggling, I can now save the MQTT wave message as a raw audio file which plays on the BT speaker :slight_smile:

I could not get it to work yet with only memory, so I tried first to save the message as a file.
Still a lot to do, but also made quite some progress