Hunting Coqui Frogs

I fell down quite a rabbit hole, today, when stumbling across your microphone array. Many months ago, I had the idea to put 6 or 8 mic’s on a board for the purpose of locating the calling sound of Coqui Frogs. After searching and watching video (mostly with my mouth dropped open about how much of my vision is already complete if I buy a Matrix Creator!), I am left with only two questions which I will ask toward the end.

First, I live on the Big Island of Hawaii. Coqui’s are native to Puerto Rico, but here, they are invasive. And Hawaii is not just paradise for humans: It is paradise for MANY invaders, as well, large and small. There are large feral cat colonies that terrorize local bird populations. There are dozens of crazy plants that are particularly hard to get out of this ecosystem. There are no snakes, here - which means Rats and Cane Toads and, of course, Coqui Frogs have landed here, as well, multiplying endlessly, and putting survival pressure on the more traditional residents of Hawaii’s unique ecosystem.

There are many efforts to curb all this, but I confess: My own goals are much more simplistic. A good night’s sleep. A chorus of frogs in a distant acre of park ground is a soothing sound. White noise that drifts over the landscape at night, letting you take in the Milky Way and unspoiled nature of paradise as you drift off to sleep. But a single male caller is like having the world’s largest cricket chirping madly inside the confines of your own skull. Their calls can reach over 80 decibels, and I can personally affirm that when you are sneaking up on one and still unable to see each other, the noise is absolutely ear-splitting. One Coqui within about 10-20 feet of the bedroom will wreck any plans you may have of a peaceful night’s sleep.

But the human dual-microphone array, as finely tuned as it is, breaks down at this level of madness. Coqui’s are prone to hiding between broad leaves (tea plants, antherium, monstero, etc.) which allow them to magnify and project their voice to amazingly confusing levels. In many cases, you cannot trust what your brain is telling you that your ears are hearing. Hence, I thought to supplement my own ears with much more trustworthy electronic ones (and a lot of trig). And yet - today, I see that ODAS exists, and none of that is required!?!?!!! This is the beginning of something beautiful. I can feel it.

Q1: I have seen visualizations of the direction of sound based on the microphone arrays, but I’m not sure if that code is also available? What I would like to build is a sort of AR device that pinpoints the sound over night vision on a screen. This would require additional use of the 3D gyro (which is on your board, already! SWEEEEEET!) and some tweaking to display the noise directions over top of the screen (camera display). That’s the whole project, honestly: A device I can slowly move through space relative to my position, sweeping the camera along to pinpoint where the frog is hiding. Maybe someday, a “!frogger” bot could be made to snatch the things itself, but for now, I’d just settle with the hard data of how to un-trick my ears.

Q2: Coquis come out after a fresh rain. My yard gets ~100 inches of rain/year. At some point, it would be nice to make the device waterproof, but I’m not sure you have had much call for that? Have folks made any kind of enclosures or other “rugged” requests for the Matrix Creator? (If I were to eventually build a frog-capturing bot, it would obviously have such a requirement.)

Anyway - I’m ordering my parts for the !frogger v1 and I’m super stoked to try it out!!! And, who knows? Perhaps peaceful sleep can be mine before the year is out!

Do Not buy their products. This is abandoned tech. Go read the rest of the forum. you’ll see
I was so mad when I discovered this for myself.

I am not sure if this will be able to triangulate a sound, that can be very complex (i.e. see shot-spotter for details on complexity). In theory it should be able to. The software for something like that may be available as part of other projects, but “porting” code like that to different FPGA families can be tricky.

I haven’t seen any rugged enclosures for arrays. Your environment seems particularly challenging.

While the creators are not particularly active anymore. The hardware isn’t too bad, but it is an FPGA board. If you treat is a convenient far field microphone FPGA devboard or just want to use it out of the box as described, it works well. There is a learning curve if you haven’t used Linux before.