I can't install matrixio-kernel-modules

I followed the process on this website to install, unfortunately the installation error. As shown below:

uname -a:
Linux raspberrypi 5.10.11-v7l+ #1399 SMP Thu Jan 28 12:09:48 GMT 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux

This drivers only works with current stock raspbian kernel they need to update so it works with the updated kernel

Go here might help you out GitHub - matrix-io/matrixio-kernel-modules: MATRIX HAL in kernel space

I started out with kernel 5.4 and tried to install the matrixio-kernel-modules via apt-get. However this seems to bump the kernel version up to 5.10 which causes problems with the installing of the matrixio package.

matrixio-kernel-modules are not compatible with 5.10 kernel.

Here is a workaround:

DOWNGRADE KERNEL TO 5.4

sudo apt purge matrixio-kernel-modules
cd ~/
wget -q --show-progress -O rpi_kernel_5-4.deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/r/raspberrypi-firmware/raspberrypi-kernel_1.20201126-1_armhf.deb
wget -q --show-progress -O rpi_kernel_headers_5-4.deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/r/raspberrypi-firmware/raspberrypi-kernel-headers_1.20201126-1_armhf.deb
sudo apt purge raspberrypi-kernel-headers
sudo apt install ~/rpi_kernel_5-4.deb
sudo apt install ~/rpi_kernel_headers_5-4.deb
sudo apt-mark hold raspberrypi-kernel
sudo apt-mark hold raspberrypi-kernel-headers
sudo reboot
sudo apt update
sudo apt install matrixio-kernel-modules
sudo reboot

UNDO (once matrixio-kernel-modules are working again)

sudo apt-mark unhold raspberrypi-kernel
sudo apt-mark unhold raspberrypi-kernel-headers
sudo apt purge matrixio-kernel-modules
sudo apt purge raspberrypi-kernel-headers
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
sudo reboot
sudo apt install matrixio-kernel-modules
sudo reboot
1 Like

thank you this worked for me.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay in responding here.

We just posted some instructions you can use to downgrade the kernel. It seems like some of you posted a solution already but I figured I would link our solution as well.