LXPanel-0.9.3 Network Preferences - no config for SSID

Sorry to be a nube on the PI and LXPanel-0.9.3. Tried searching here and google.
The network configuration drop-down from Wireless & Wired Network Settings does not have a place to configure the SSID for a wireless network. The configure window allows selection of Interface or SSID. When SSID is selected everything else is grayed out. No room to enter a SSID. And no scan of local SSID’s as shown in the Episode 101 Video.
Using the Micro SD image that was supplied with the Matrix Voice and PI kit around the beginning of June 2019. (version 9 stretch)
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey Brian,

That may be an oversight on our part. When we made the kit image, we may have made it difficult to select WiFi from the Desktop GUI when we erased memory of our own WiFi. Try setting up WiFi by running the following in your terminal:

sudo raspi-config

You will get a window like the following:

You can navigate through this menu with the up, down, left, right arrow keys. Go into Network Options, then select WiFi. You will be asked to enter your SSID and Password. Once you finish, select OK. It will take a couple of seconds to take you back to the original menu, then select Finish to return back to the command line.

I would recommend rebooting using sudo reboot afterwards to make sure the changes apply.

Alternatively, you can follow the directions here to put WiFi onto your microSD card through your PC. For this, you will need a microSD card reader.

Let me know if you have further questions!

Best,
Samreen

Thanks Samreen. That will be fine for testing. But as the device is moved from network to network it would be nice to have the drop-down scan of available networks available in the GUI. How can I restore these functions?

@Brian1,

Makes sense, that is an easy fix! All you need to do is add the following lines to the beginning of /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file. Change the country as desired.

country=us
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
update_config=1

To edit this in your terminal, you would just type the following.

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Then paste the above lines with Ctrl+Shift+V in your terminal. Then save the file with Ctrl+X, then Y.

Your WiFi information will probably already be in that file. You will just add those 3 lines at the beginning of the file.

Best,
Samreen

If that didn’t work for you, tested myself and this slightly modified way worked

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=US