Matrix Creator - Fresh installation issues Pi 4B

Good Morning Everyone,

I just bought a Creator hat and am excited to get it working with my raspberry pi 4 but am running into some strange behaviors. I have done all the troubleshooting I know of but to no avail, so I wanted to reach out to the community to see if anyone would be willing to help me solve this mystery.

Raspberry Pi 4B 4gb
Matrix Creator
5V 3A official power supply
Latest image from raspberry pi foundation
set keyboard US, Timezone LA, etc…
boot from USB samsung fit 256gb
optimize confg file for Pi 4
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
install matrix HAL installation (procedure from package page)
install matrix Lite abstraction
sample rainbow app.py works for the everloop

BUT
Now I cannot shutdown with any of the shutdown or poweroff commands, it always reboots the machine instead. Also, now one of the onboard LEDs on the creator hat itself is constantly flashing really fast, one is lit solid, the other is off completely. Not sure what’s going on but that can’t be right, can it? In the images below my “DNA” did not match the DNA in the hardware test page and the em358 module doesn’t seem to get programmed since it says ‘no such file or directory’.

Here is the output running i2cdetect and hardware tests:

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to help me diagnose this problem.

Derek

Here is the result of gpio debug

Hi @djones,

Welcome to the community!

Apologies for my delayed response.

Everything in your config looks sound. The DNA not matching is normal as it contains a timestamp and other variable information that changes it each time. The state of the indicator LEDs sounds usual.

The em358 is the Zigbee chip. Not having /tmp/em358_dump does not indicate any issues. You can run the following to ensure your Zigbee chip has been flashed.

cd /usr/share/matrixlabs/matrixio-devices/
./em358-program.bash

So, as far as I can tell, the main issue is that power off commands are always resulting in a reboot. Have you tested whether this happens without your MATRIX Creator attached as well?

Once verified whether it is an issue happening only with the MATRIX Creator, you can try this workaround from an older post. The issue has not popped up in a while but it could be related to the MCU as mentioned in the linked post.

Best,
Samreen