MATRIX Creator Snips Assistant Unresponsive

So I have been trying for the past week to get the Snips AI running on on my Creator/RPi combo as described in the DevDay tutorial here: DevDay Tutorial.

Initially I was having trouble getting all the snips-servers running, but I finally figured out a workaround. I configured the audio such that I could successfully test the microphone and speaker and everything seemed to be running fine…except I was getting no response from the assistant - no logs, no audio response, nothing. I checked through the scripts and found no errors with the syntax. I checked that I had all the correct packages loaded - no problems there that I could tell. Finally I decided to try a fresh install of Raspbian Stretch Lite which I configured to run MATRIX Core using the tutorial here: Matrix/Snips Tutorial. (I also followed the Matrix documentation on Java setup to make sure that was configured correctly). Still no response from either the demo assistant or my assistant from DevDay (which I tested on the Snips console).

I’m really new to programming with Core, so I’m at a loss as to where I should be looking for the base issue. I apologize for the broadness of the question but any advice on what I need to check would be greatly appreciated.

Summary:
MATRIX Creator + Raspberry Pi 3 running Raspbian Stretch Lite and MATRIX Core
Snips AI, properly configured, all servers running, assistant installed and shown as live
Microphone and speaker tested and working properly
Creator communicating with pi, confirmed with app.js

ISSUE: Zero response from AI to wakeword or commands

Hey @jmjulian did you follow the Pre-Workshop Setup? It contains a link to a custom image with all the dependencies you need (including the snips services).

Yeah, that’s what I started with originally. After getting the snips-skill-server to finally run, I ran into the same issue…no response.

Are you still using our custom image? It should have the snips-skill-server running by default. With the Sam CLI Tool, you can use it to check the status of each Snips service.

Can you share the output of sam status?

sam connect YOUR.PI.IP.HERE
sam status

So I just re-flashed the custom image and ran the commands sam connect, sam status (sam not installed), sam init, sam status. Output shown below. Since you said that the snips platform should already be installed, I’m going to re-download the image; I downloaded it as soon as I signed up, so there might have been changes between then and the DevDay.

$ sam connect 192.168.0.10
? Enter username for the device: (pi)
? Enter username for the device: pi
? Enter password for the device: (raspberry) [input is hidden]
? Enter password for the device: [hidden]
i A public key has been generated and copied to the device at 192.168.0.10:~/.ssh/authorized_keys

$ sam status

Connected to device 192.168.0.10

OS version ................... Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Status ....................... Snips Platform not installed

You may install the Snips Platform using sam init
To install specific components, check the help using sam init --help

$ sam init
Installing Snips Platform components. This may take a few minutes...
i You can now setup your audio with sam setup audio

$ sam status

Connected to device 192.168.0.10

OS version ................... Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Installed assistant .......... Not installed
Status ....................... Live (no assistant)

Service status:

snips-analytics .............. 0.60.10 (not running)
snips-asr .................... 0.60.10 (not running)
snips-audio-server ........... 0.60.10 (running)
snips-dialogue ............... 0.60.10 (not running)
snips-hotword ................ 0.60.10 (not running)
snips-nlu .................... 0.60.10 (not running)
snips-skill-server ........... 0.60.10 (not running)
snips-tts .................... 0.60.10 (running)

I’ll walk through the rest of the tutorial again and record the status outputs for reference.

You’re 100% right! I forgot to mention that we changed the image about a week before the event to decrease the overall size & have Snips preinstalled to save time.

Here’s the updated link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BwfOPoX1OVgYHEb_pGjwIlSGQ_Sg8kxL/view
(It’s also updated on the Arm DevDay webpage)

Well I feel dumb now…that was the fix. Everything works fine now with the right image. Thanks Carlos!

Sorry about the confusion :sweat_smile:. Great to hear everything works!