Matrix device has not been detected

I am sure that this has been raised multiple times, as I have checked many many posts here, but no matter how many suggestions I have tried, nothing works in my case.

I have a Matrix Voice, and a RPi3 Model B+, Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software, Version: September 2019, Release date: 2019-09-26, Kernel version: 4.19, Size: 2541 MB

I have followed precisely the instructions given here: https://matrix-io.github.io/matrix-documentation/matrix-voice/troubleshooting/

Result: Matrix device has not been detected

I would really really really appreciate some tips on recovering this.

Thnx

Hi @stx001,

Welcome to the community!

I will test & see if I can replicate this issue. Seems to be happening a bit more than it should lately.

To go over the basics, are you using a 5V ~2.5A power supply?

Can you please go to your Pi’s terminal and type the following? (It is a bit different than what is in the troubleshooting guide, uses sysfs instead of the now deprecated wiringPi)

cd /usr/share/matrixlabs/matrixio-devices
sudo xc3sprog -c sysfsgpio_voice blob/bscan_spi_s6lx9_ftg256.bit

Let me know if the above works. If not, please send me an image/screenshot of the output of the following.

sudo xc3sprog -j -c sysfsgpio_voice

This will indicate whether the FPGA is being detected at all.

Best,
Samreen

Thank you for the answer.

Find attached my screenshot.

Also to add that this is a clean install, with new RPi and a Matrix Voice that is used first time.
There is a 5V, 3A power supply, and nothing in addition is attached to the Pi, only the Bluetooth interface for the mouse/keyboard. Connected via HDMI to a screen.

I am 100% that all installation has been done precisely, but I still get the same error :))

@stx001,

It seems your device is being detected so we will be able to solve I’m sure!

The output you received for the spi flashing command “DNA is 0x…” is what you are supposed to receive so that is good too.

As for arecord not detecting the device, it is possible the matrixio-kernel-modules installation had some error. Can you send me a picture of the following command? (Installation status of MATRIX packages)
dpkg -l | grep matrix

Best,
Samreen

Please find below

@stx001,

When you type arecord -l in the command line, it does not show MATRIXIO-SOUND?

Best,
Samreen

I can see the interface, but no examples would work, or with any other combination of configurations.

@stx001,

Can you try recording with the following command and let me know if that works?

arecord recording.wav -f S16_LE -r 16000 -d 5 -D plughw:2,0

Also, let me know the output of the following command

sudo /usr/share/matrixlabs/matrixio-devices/fpga_info

It seems you installed MATRIX HAL from source. Let me test that on Buster, so far I’ve only installed from package on Buster. I’ll get back to you shortly!

Best,
Samreen

Many thanks for this! Recording doesnt capture anything. This is the info I got

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo /usr/share/matrixlabs/matrixio-devices/fpga_info
INFO: [/dev/matrixio_regmap] was opened
MATRIX device has not been detected
FPGA IDENTIFY = 0
FPGA VERSION = 10bc4

@stx001,

No worries, hopefully we solve soon!

Have you tried to reflash your FPGA following the “FPGA Flash” part at the end of the troubleshooting page to see if that helps?

Best,
Samreen

I am afraid that there is no change:

pi@raspberrypi:/usr/share/matrixlabs/matrixio-devices $ sudo ./fpga-program.bash
MATRIX device has not been detected
**** MATRIX Voice FPGA Software has been updated!

I am a bit concerned, as I am having this problem for many days now, and it seems that there is no solution available?

Are there any other available options or things to do to resolve this please?

Just an update:
I was lucky enough to find another Matrix Voice, so I tested it with my current configuration, and it seems that it is working fine. I assume the other one has a hardware problem. What do you suggest to do in this case?

@stx001,

Sending you a direct message to resolve this on the side.

Best,
Samreen

hi,

I have the same problem:
I installed on my raspberry 3 a Matrix Voice with Buster the first time, but I realized that it’s not good for snips. But the Matrix Voice was working.

Then I put on my Raspberry 3 Stretch, and the Matrix Voice doesn’t work anymore.

can you help me?

in advance thank you, and sorry for my English I am French;)

Hi @smag,

Welcome to the community!

Are you using a 5V ~2A power supply?

On your Raspberry Pi 3 w/ Stretch & MATRIX Voice install, please run the following:

dpkg -l | grep matrix

^Tells us packages installed and their statuses.

Looking forward to resolving this!

Best,
Samreen

Hi Samreen,

my power supply is 5v 2.5A.

best,

smag

Hi @smag,

Your matrixio-kernel-module version is 0.2.1 which is currently having some issues that we are working to resolve.

That is likely the source of your problem. I would recommend purging the MATRIX kernel module installation and then installing from source as a temporary workaround.

sudo apt purge matrixio-kernel-modules

Then, follow steps here.

You can also try one of the MATRIX HAL examples after purge to double check that your device is working properly.

Best,
Samreen

I tried but it doesn’t work, can we do a reset with factory setting?