Matrix device has not been detected

Hi,

Do you have a solution to my problem?

best

Hi @smag,

Apologies for the delayed response. We have been at a conference all week!

I see that you have built the MATRIX HAL examples repo. From there, if you navigate to the examples and run the everloop example, what happens?

~/home/pi/matrix-hal-examples/build/demos/everloop/everloop_rainbow

Please let me know.

Additionally, have you tried all the steps in this troubleshooting guide? The FPGA flashing step should “reset to factory settings”.

Best,
Samreen

hi,

I’ve tried everything, but it doesn’t work for me.

best

Hi @smag,

If you have a spare SD card, please download and flash this image onto it and boot the Raspberry Pi from it.

The image is what we install on our kits- Raspbian Stretch Desktop with MATRIX packages installed. The boot sequence is rainbow LEDs for 10 seconds.

Once you plug your Pi+MATRIX Voice into power, wait 30 or so seconds for the boot sequence. If it doesn’t work, try to run the other MATRIX Lite examples located on the Desktop.

Let me know how this goes.

Best,
Samreen

Hi @Samreen

I’m experiencing a similar issue and I’m not sure how to proceed. I’ve attached the output from the commands mentioned earlier in this post.

@darienurse,

Welcome to the community!

So, MATRIX HAL examples are not working for you? Does it say FPGA not detected?

From the outputs you have shown, you have the correct packages installed and your device FPGA is being detected, so that is good. We will try our best to help you troubleshoot.

Can you let me know the following so I can understand your setup better?

• What MATRIX device do you have?
  • What Raspberry Pi version are you using?
  • What Raspbian OS are you using? (Can check in terminal with lsb_release -a command)
  • What is your Linux kernel version? (Can check in terminal with uname -a command)
  • Are you powering the Pi with a 5V >2A power supply?
  • Do you have any other components connected to your Pi?

Additionally, are you able to use ALSA to record? What is your output for arecord -l? What happens if you run the following commands. Can you hear the .wav file playing?

arecord recording.wav -f S16_LE -r 16000 -d 5
aplay recording.wav

Best,
Samreen

@Samreen

Thank you for the help!

• What MATRIX device do you have?
    Voice Standand

• What Raspberry Pi version are you using?
    Raspberry Pi 3 B V1.2

• What Raspbian OS are you using? (Can check in terminal with lsb_release -a command)
    Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
    Release: 10
    Codename: buster

• What is your Linux kernel version? (Can check in terminal with uname -a command)
    Linux raspberrypi 4.19.97-v7+ #1294 SMP Thu Jan 30 13:15:58 GMT 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

• Are you powering the Pi with a 5V >2A power supply?
    Yes

• Do you have any other components connected to your Pi?
    The Pi is connected to a touchscreen display and a camera module
    *Output for arecord -l is

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 1: Dummy [Dummy], device 0: Dummy PCM [Dummy PCM]
Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
I don’t hear any sounds when running those commands.

@darienurse,

Thank you for providing all that info. Your output to arecord -l indicates that the MATRIX Voice is not detected by the kernel either.

I took a look at the touchscreen display module datasheet and it does not seem like there are any interfering pins which is good. I assume you are powering the touchscreen’s 5V and GND pins through the MATRIX Voice expansion GPIOs?

My concern is regarding power, it seems the Pi + touchscreen can be comfortably powered with a 5V 2.5A power supply. That may not be enough amperage to support the MATRIX Voice as well.

Can you do a quick test of rebooting the Pi after disconnecting power and ground for the touchscreen display to see if the MATRIX Voice is detected? (If it is detected, a MATRIXIOSOUND card should appear for arecord -l).

Best,
Samreen

@Samreen

Hi,

So I disconnected all the peripherals except the MATRIX Voice and I still don’t see anything from the arecord -l command or hear sounds when running the aplay recording.wav command. So far, the only behavior I’ve observed from the MATRIX Voice is this blue light on the back.

Darien

Darien,

The blue light indicates that it is correctly connected to power.

Would it be possible to try without the ribbon cables? We have found faulty ribbon cables to cause issues in the past.

Let me know if you see anything different after reboot. Could you also then show me the output of:

sudo /usr/share/matrixlabs/matrixio-devices/fpga_info

Best,
Samreen

1 Like