Matrix Voice / Creator as input device on chromium

Hi, I am working on a project that require me to use a microphone with the chromium browser. I have a matrix voice and I am being able to record with arecord.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ arecord -D mic_channel8 -r 16000 -f S16_LE test2.wav
Recording WAVE 'test2.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
^CAborted by signal Interrupt...

I can playback the recorded wav file with aplay.
I have 2 problems here:

1. aplay only works with the analog output. (headphone jack on the pi), It doesn’t play on connected USB speakers. I tried multiple speakers. I could play a sample wav file I download with the USB speakers using aplay.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ aplay -D hw:0,0 test2.wav
    Playing WAVE ‘test2.wav’ : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ aplay -D hw:2,0 test2.wav
    Playing WAVE ‘test2.wav’ : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
    aplay: set_params:1305: Channels count non available

2. I would like to use the matrix voice as an input device on chromium browser (SIPJS - uses webrtc)
    My chromium browser app is working fine when I set a USB microphone as default mic. But it when I set one of the 8 channels from Matrix Voice as the input device, it doesn’t work. Sometime I hear a static voice, and sometimes just quite.

@kevindpatino mentioned it could be because I was using the beamformed mic_channel8 and suggested me to use one of the 8 physical mics. I tried that and I see same results. Have anyone tried using Matrix Voice / Creator on a browser? Thank you in advance.

Ok, I got around the 1st issue “aplay: set_params:1305: Channels count non available” by modifying /etc/asound.conf file end with

pcm.!default
{
  type asym
  playback.pcm {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "hw:2,0"
  }

capture.pcm {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "mic_channel1"
  }
}

ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 2
}

This uses my usb speaker for output and matrix voice channel1 as input.

I am still struggling to figure out how to use matrix mic in browser though. The issue is that, navigator.mediaDevices.enumerateDevices() returns the dummy matrix device and all I get is a static voice when using that.

Hello @Manu

Are you using malos/HAL implementation?

Could you try to set up your device with the kernel modules:
1- https://github.com/matrix-io/matrixio-kernel-modules

You could check this thread, they complete the support for the google assistant:
2- Matrix Creator and Google Assistant

Also, I will check if I could help you.

Thank You.

Kevin Patino

Hi @kevindpatino, I tried setting up matrixio-kernel-modules and could get the google assistant to work. I did this on a fresh raspbian image. But that did not help me using Matrix Voice as a mic in the chrome browser. Its crashing browser every time it try getUserMedia(), it crashes browser.

navigator.mediaDevices.getUserMedia(
  {
    audio:true, 
    video:false
  })
  .then(stream => {
    console.log(stream)
  })

I tried aslamixer and it crashes everytime I choose the Matrix Device by pressing F6.

cannot load mixer controls: Input/output error

Any luck on this, I’m still waiting for my board before I can join in, but this is in my use case!

Well, am glad that I am not the only one. Sadly, no update on this. I couldn’t get it working on chromium yet. When you get your board and if you manage to get it working, please let me know.