Matrix Voice MALOS Microphone Examples

I just got my Matrix Voice today (exciting!), and I am eager to start experimenting.

The ideas I had in mind primarily use the Matrix CORE and MALOS service to communicate with the hardware. So far I’ve got my everything installed and my Voice connected. The everloop javascript demo works fine, so at least some of the code works.

However, I cannot get either of the two microphone test scripts to function (test_doa.js or test_micarray.js). I suspect this is due to slight differences in low-level configuration between the Creator and Voice microphones, but I’m not sure. I can’t seem to find any other examples in the documentation or in other repos on how to access the Voice microphones via MALOS. The mics do seem to be showing up as ALSA devices (listed as “Dummy”), but I can’t seem to record from them directly either:

arecord --device=hw:1,0 -r 16000 -c 1 -f S16_LE output.wav

This just produced a strange beeping sound (with and without MALOS service running in background).

Is there anything I’m doing wrong at this point? Is there a timeline for some Voice specific examples of accessing the microphone array?

Thanks!

Are you still having this issue? Can you try with the mic #2 ( M2 / Channel 1 ) :

arecord --device=mic_channel1 -r 16000 -c 1 -f S16_LE test.wav

@dscripka

a little testcript to run every mic. In includes every hardware channel (0-7) and the virtual channel (8). A file for each channel will be created.

#!/bin/bash
for (( i=0; i<=8; i++ ))
do
    echo "Record Channel $i"
    arecord --device=mic_channel${i} -r 16000 -c 1 -f S16_LE test${i}.wav -d 15
done

I think the issue that I need to configure my ~/.asoundrc to correctly point to the FIFO files created in /tmp for the mic channels (see this link). For some reason this was not configured automatically when installing the MALOS and other Matrix packages.

With those changes the example codes @yoelrc88 and @spacemishka shoud work, I believe (planning to do more testing later this week).