Matrix Voice + Picroft next steps help

I was able to setup picroft and a matrix voice by following the instructions on hackster (https://www.hackster.io/matrix-labs/matrix-devices-running-mycroft-ai-ee9d4a). Just as a warning, I am new to all of this, so I apologize if I do not use the correct terminology.

Where should I go from here? I would like to make the LEDs change color when the wake word is spoken, but I am uncertain of what I should be looking up. The hardest part is asking the right questions and I am struggling to find the correct questions to ask to move forward with this Matrix Voice/Picroft project.

I hope I do not come off as trying to get others to do the work for me, I just feel stuck at the moment.

Thank you!

Hello, thank you for posting!

As a starting point, I would recommend making a custom mycroft skill using the template they provide here. They have step-by-step instructions on skill-building here. The part where you would add in MATRIX Voice functionality is the python file.

You may also find the Mycroft Skills API here useful.

You can find MATRIX Voice python code to incorporate here. I recommend testing the MATRIX Voice python functions that you would like to implement with Mycroft on their own first and then see how you could incorporate say LED, sensor, etc functions into the skills template.

I haven’t looked into this much myself, but if you want to perform actions based on the wake word, you may have to read the file where it logs wake word triggers. There may be a more efficient way of doing this. For reference, I was going through this file to see how wake word trigger logs may be extracted.

I hope this gives you a good starting point. Please feel free to post follow-up questions or even comment with progress you’ve made. I will be sure to let you know if I work on this, and post my findings here.

Best,