Problem with installing Matrix Lite for Python on Raspbian Buster

Hello Matrix Community,

I just got a Matrix Voice and connected it to my Raspberry Pi 3B+ with a fresh Raspbian Buster image.
For setting it up with Matrix Lite, I followed the instructions in the Matrix Documentation. I was able to install Matrix HAL and get the example C++ script with rainbow loop running, but when i wanted to install Matrix Lite for Python afterwards, it failed. Here’s a link to the documentation page I used:

https://matrix-io.github.io/matrix-documentation/matrix-lite/getting-started/python/

I copied all the codes to my terminal step by step, but wasn’t sure, if the last one (for installation) is to enter while in the lite_py folder or in ~/ folder. At first I tried it in the new lite_py folder. After that I tried to do the everloop reference described at this link:

https://matrix-io.github.io/matrix-documentation/matrix-lite/py-reference/everloop/

I failed at the first step when trying to import and got this response:

After this response, I tried using the installation command in ~/ folder, but got the same response again.
I’m not an expert, but I think my terminal is looking for matrix_lite in the var/mail/ folder. I found it in the /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages folder.

My main question:
Is this a problem based on a difference between Raspbian Stretch and Buster and what can I do to solve it?

Best wishes
RaspiManu

Hey @RaspiManu,

Can you post the commands you’re running. I haven’t encountered this issue before, but it seems like this post can help. (Good to mention here that our library is only for Python 3)

Let us know if this resolves you’re issue.

Hi @Carlos,

thank you very much for your help. As I said, I’m not an expert, more a beginner. Your link helped me a lot and solved my problem. I had to point out, that the raspberry should interpret python.

By the way, I like that you and Samreen do tutorials and livestreams on Youtube. Keep up that good work and support. That’s great.

Best wishes
RaspiManu

2 Likes

No problem!

And thanks. we don’t plan to stop making tutorials anytime soon. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like