Problem with installing Snips Demo when following your hackster.io tutorial

Hello Matrix Community,

I followed the MatrixLabs hackster.io tutorial on how to install snips.ai in combination with Matrix Voice on the Raspberry Pi. Here’s a link:

I was able to install everything like git and sam cli and the recording test worked fine. Only the last step, where you try to install a weather demo of snips over sam won’t work for me. Here is my console’s response:

C:\Users\Manuel>sam install demo
√ Installing Snips fake weather demo
× Error reading the Snipsfile for skills, reason: cat: /usr/share/snips/assistant/Snipsfile.yaml: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
√ Installing snips-template and snips-skill-server
× Error: Failed to stop snips-skill-server.service: Unit snips-skill-server.service not loaded.

Is the demo not available anymore or am I missing some important files. If so, how do I get them?

Best wishes
RaspiManu

is the snips-platform-demo installed?

sudo apt-get install snips-platform-demo

Thanks for the response, @Iskenof .

No, it is not installed and if I enter that command:

into my RPis console, it says, that snips-platform-demo cannot be found. Do you have an idea why this is and how to solve this problem? I’m using Raspbian Buster by the way.

Hey @RaspiManu,

Last I checked, Snips is still developing support for Raspbian Buster.

I have been following this GitHub issue for the status on Snips Buster support which is being updated by someone from the Snips team. You may find some workarounds & solutions there!

Best,
Samreen

Hi @Samreen,

thanks for that link. For me, the conclusion of that discussion is, that I would have to use Stretch instead of Buster. But since I’m planning to start a big project that will take months or a year to complete, I don’t want to downgrade and will have to wait. Do you think there will be some better chances for me some weeks from now or is reworking snips for buster a long time process?

Best wishes
RaspiManu

Hi @RaspiManu,

Since Snips has their own dev team focusing on developing Snips support for Buster, I think it would be better to ask the question of how long it will take on the Snips forum.

That being said, it may be possible to start your project on Raspbian Stretch, and transfer over to Raspbian Buster with little to no work, once Snips support is complete. Depending on your project, I think this may be relatively easy, considering I don’t expect the Snips infrastructure or communication protocols to change. Updating from Stretch to Buster, for Snips, should all be in the back-end, parts that likely won’t affect your project. For example, if you are using Snips to turn on a zigbee light bulb, the logic for your controller side code will be the same on Stretch and Buster.

If this makes sense for your application, I recommend starting your project with Stretch for now!

Best,
Samreen

1 Like

Hi @Samreen,

thank you very much for that informative response. I will think about it and make my decision.

Best wishes,
RaspiManu

1 Like