Running AVS on a RTOS (Real-time OS)

Is it possible, and if yes, are there any documentation for it?

Hi @GeorgeMina,

Intriguing question! I found this post that says it is indeed possible. However, it doesn’t point to any resources :sweat_smile:

I have seen the use of FreeRTOS in ESP32 programming, so do you mean if AVS can be used in microcontrollers? I was able to find this repo of someone who got parts of Alexa working on ESP32 but they don’t seem to be using FreeRTOS. Not sure if that helps.

I will let you know if I find anything else!

Best,
Samreen

1 Like

Blockquote
I have seen the use of FreeRTOS in ESP32 programming, so do you mean if AVS can be used in microcontrollers?

Yes exactly. The Stretch-ready image worked just fine on the RPi, and I was looking to transfer all the functionality on a RTOS board - probably Nebula Rev 2.0.

Also many thanks for these references, I will look into them and if I manage to achieve anything I will post it here!

1 Like

ESP32 has a avs SDK based on freeRTOS. But the libs are closed source right now. It even has support for Google Assistant and dialogflow.

Hi Rickson,

Yes I had a look there also. Actually I have a development board with a STM32F4xx processor. ST has released a package to turn dev boards into Alexa-enabled devices, called X-CUBE-VS4A (https://blog.st.com/alexa-voice-service-x-cube-vs4a-stm32/) and made it available for download on their website. I am planning on using this, however it’s designed for STM32F7xx processors.

I’m new to dev boards, but I’m hoping I can somehow change the package files to work on my Nebula Rev 2.0 board (with STM32F4xx). If you have any suggestions I’ll gladly take them.

George