sensorTest: Unable to reach device

I’m following the online tutorial for making my first app from this page:
https://matrix-io.github.io/matrix-documentation/matrix-os/getting-started/hello-world/

I was able to setup my user account and register the device.

When I type “matrix list devices”, it shows this:
Device ID │ Name │ Desc… │ ok │ Last Online │
│ d53ee59c68f9 │ Clock │ Cloc… │ no │ 48 years ago

The ok=no bothers me.
When I do the matrix install sensorTest, it gets pretty far, but then times out saying it cannot reach the device.

Here is the output:

? OK to allow sensorTest access to the above? Yes

⇒ Installing sensorTest with policy:

sensors:
:white_check_mark: accelerometer
:white_check_mark: altitude
:white_check_mark: gyroscope
:white_check_mark: humidity
:white_check_mark: magnetometer
:white_check_mark: pressure
:white_check_mark: temperature
:white_check_mark: uv
Installation progress:
Awaiting installation on Device…
Unable to reach device, the application will be installed as soon as your device is available

Any thoughts as to why it is not “ok” and not able to be reached?

Thanks,
Sean

Troubleshooting further, I have not used the phone app. Doing so, I get a similar result…It does not detect any devices near me.

The blue light just keeps on blinking. My Bluetooth is on my phone and Raspberry PI.

What am I missing?

More troubleshooting. I can get the HAL low level examples to run, so I ruled out that its a hardware issue. It appears to be something with the software packages.

It appears “malos” is failing on startup or when manually called. I don’t know if this is a must to get things going, but here is the output:

pi@ClockCrane:~ $ sudo systemctl status matrixio-malos
● matrixio-malos.service - Matrix Abstraction Layer for OS
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/matrixio-malos.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: signal) since Sat 2018-04-14 22:39:51 UTC; 1min 46s ago
Process: 621 ExecStart=/usr/bin/malos (code=killed, signal=ABRT)
Main PID: 621 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

Apr 14 22:39:51 ClockCrane malos[621]: You can query specific driver info using port 20012.
Apr 14 22:39:51 ClockCrane malos[621]: Registered driver IMU with port 20013.
Apr 14 22:39:51 ClockCrane malos[621]: Registered driver Humidity with port 20017.
Apr 14 22:39:51 ClockCrane malos[621]: Registered driver Everloop with port 20021.
Apr 14 22:39:51 ClockCrane malos[621]: Registered driver Pressure with port 20025.
Apr 14 22:39:51 ClockCrane malos[621]: Registered driver UV with port 20029.
Apr 14 22:39:51 ClockCrane malos[621]: *** stack smashing detected ***: /usr/bin/malos terminated
Apr 14 22:39:51 ClockCrane systemd[1]: matrixio-malos.service: Main process exited, code=killed, s
Apr 14 22:39:51 ClockCrane systemd[1]: matrixio-malos.service: Unit entered failed state.
Apr 14 22:39:51 ClockCrane systemd[1]: matrixio-malos.service: Failed with result ‘signal’.

Anyone know why I would get “stack smashing detected”?

I’m getting closer. I at least now can install, start, and stop apps from the CLI and phone. I still get the OK=No when listing devices and the error message when I ping. However, it does ping the device.

I did an update of packages with this:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot

These packages were upgraded:
libperl5.24 perl perl-base perl-modules-5.24

Upon reboot, the malos service no longer had the stack smashing error and remained an active service. In turn, the Matrix OS would start without any errors.

Although it still shows offline in the IOS app, I can install and toggle apps to the device.

I wish I was error free, but at least I can get the functionality out of it now.

-Sean

We’re addressing the status indicator shortly. I’m glad it’s functional for you. Thanks

Hello @sjmill01

Look this thread: *** stack smashing detected ***: malos terminated

Regards,

Kevin Patino