[SOLVED] Problem Running Demos - Breaking in Boards

Hi,

I’ve now got three creators, one which I bought three weeks ago (creator #1), and two that I bought last week (creators (#2 and #3). The first board has been working fine (though there were some issues running the compass demo when I first got it, but that seems to have resolved itself).

The second two boards have been misbehaving alot. I’ve done some systematic tests today to try and get to the bottom of the issues. I’ve used two raspberry pi boards, each with Raspbian 2016-05-10 Jessie, and the latest git pull of Matrix Creator HAL.

Having read the post on potential power supply issues with creator behaviour, I have kept my power supply the same as it been working fine with the first board. Please see the table below outlining my tests and results. Rows are test results, and columns indicate which demos have worked properly.

For experiment controls I swapped Raspberry Pis’, the SD cards in the Pi’s and the matrix creators across the Pi’s.

Looks like there is a difference across the SD cards. The PI’s were all bought at the same time.

NOTE:
Just before I wrote this post, board #2 has begun to work properly, without my doing anything different other than checking the tests again. I actually noticed that there is different behaviour of the D45, 48 and 50 LEDs on the top of the board. Can a techie please clarify what these indicate as they appear to give symptoms to the state of the board (perhaps the FPGA programming?). How can one tell whether the board has been flashed properly (at startup during the process, and afterwards)?

My first thought was that there is a potential issue with the manufacturing batch. As board #2 is now working, I am less convinced of this. I also wondered whether there might be a difference in the software that is installed, specifically matrix-creator-malos matrix-creator-openocd matrix-creator-init (I was following the instructions on the Wiki, which seems to have disappeared now).

It seems to me that there is a “breaking in” period for the boards. It seems odd, but I have noticed it with both boards #1 and #2 as initially some if not all of the demos didn’t function properly, and now they all do. Board #3 is still to work properly. I’ll leave it as a test case if you guys can provide some guidance.

Cheers,

R!

Update. It does seem to be the power supply! I got home and again it didn’t work, so I plugged the USB power into my PS3. Then it worked without issue. Why it suddenly worked as mentioned in the above post is a mystery!

That said, the compass, uv and sensors demos still don’t work on board #3.

• About the powersupply : you have some info here

I had an issue with the everloop demo (random lights) and when I plugged the Matrix to my laptop instead of the official rPi powersupply it worked

Matrix Creator Power Requirements : 5V 2A

• About the demos : When was your last matrix-creator-malos clone update ?
    We solved the demo issue few days ago. GitHub issue #8

Hello @robinread

How its going you test. Do you have any new update? did you check https://github.com/matrix-io/matrix-creator-malos/issues/8.

We are tracking your issue.

BR,

Kevin

I followed the quick start guide, and nothing worked with the included power supply.
When using usb power from PC port, everloop and arc demo worked but compass demo shows zero values.

Any ideas?

Hi @adrianlee,

Can you give more details about what happened with the provided power supply? The leds were off or they were doing something else ?
The same with the compass demo test. Can you share what are you getting from the demo so we can help you ? What about the sensors_demo and everloop_demo?

Yoel

Sensors and compass demo outputs zero values for everything. In arc demo lights are blinking fast and randomly, not pulsing. Everloop demo does not have the same smooth same color motion than in video, lights go around but colors are changing and blinking rapidly
a 0, 0, 0
g 0, 0, 0
m 0, 0, 0

humidity=0 temperature=0

pressure=0 temperature=0

yaw = 0 roll = 0        pitch = 0
a 0, 0, 0
g 0, 0, 0
m 0, 0, 0

humidity=0 temperature=0

pressure=0 temperature=0

EDIT: I just received an email from matrix team and I have the exact behaviour as described for incompatible power supply

I tried solution from github(using another powers supply 5V 1.5A) and got demos working.

This one got the sensors working:

sudo rm /usr/share/admobilize/matrix-creator/sam3-program.bash.done
sudo /usr/share/admobilize/matrix-creator/sam3-program.bash
1 Like

Hi @adrianlee,

I am seen two different problems. One is the leds wrong behavior due to the faulty power supply. The second problem , that is independent, is that you are not getting any data from sensors. We already posted how to solve this in [Solved] Zero sensor values by using

Try this and let us know the results.

Yoel

@yoelrc88
Yes thank you!

Great that you solved !! I just wrote you about this.

Let us know if get stuck with something else.

Yoel

Hi @yoelrc88 again,

Have some problems running the nodejs demos, meaning none of them work me.

• node -v gives 6.5.0
  • Idid npm install protobufjs zqm

node test_everloop.js returns nothing and nothing happens
sensor tests (test.imu.js, test_pressure etc) return “Sending pings every 5 seconds” and then nothing

Ideas?

I tried to install again Matrix CLI and OS and now I’m getting following when running e.g.: node test_imu.js

/home/pi/matrix-creator-malos/src/js_test/node_modules/bindings/bindings.js:83
throw e
^

Error: Module version mismatch. Expected 48, got 51.
at Error (native)
at Object.Module._extensions…node (module.js:583:18)
at Module.load (module.js:473:32)
at tryModuleLoad (module.js:432:12)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:424:3)
at Module.require (module.js:483:17)
at require (internal/module.js:20:19)
at bindings (/home/pi/matrix-creator-malos/src/js_test/node_modules/bindings/bindings.js:76:44)
at Object. (/home/pi/matrix-creator-malos/src/js_test/node_modules/zmq/lib/index.js:6:30)
at Module._compile (module.js:556:32)

When I try to run Matrix OS

pi@raspberrypi:~/matrix-os $ node index.js
Environment Selected: rc
Loading Core Matrix Files
Loading… device
Loading… event
Loading… service
module.js:457
throw err;
^

Error: Cannot find module '/home/pi/matrix-os/node_modules/grpc/src/node/extension_binary/grpc_node.node’
at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:455:15)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:403:25)
at Module.require (module.js:483:17)
at require (internal/module.js:20:19)
at Object. (/home/pi/matrix-os/node_modules/grpc/src/node/src/grpc_extension.js:38:15)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (module.js:565:10)

[SOLVED]node tests give following errors:

pi@raspberrypi:~/matrix-creator-malos/src/js_test $ node test_humidity.js
/home/pi/matrix-creator-malos/src/js_test/test_humidity.js:24
var matrixMalosBuilder = protoBuilder.build(“matrix_malos”)
^

TypeError: Cannot read property ‘build’ of null
at Object. (/home/pi/matrix-creator-malos/src/js_test/test_humidity.js:24:38)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (module.js:565:10)
at Module.runMain (module.js:590:10)
at run (bootstrap_node.js:394:7)
at startup (bootstrap_node.js:149:9)
at bootstrap_node.js:509:3

EDIT: error above can be fixed by this