Sound or Matrix Voice Mic Problem

Hi

After my latest work with MATRIX Voice and SNIPS back in 2018, I’ve tried to restart the project. I am facing with a similar problem, which I had back in 2018: [Solved] MATRIX Voice + snips.ai Raspi could not be found but I could not fix it.

PROBLEM:

• Speaker is working
  • Mic records nothing or strange sound

SETTINGS:
status%20file
asound%20file

–> Shouldn’t be the Mic instead of “DUMMY” something like “MATRIX”?
aplay%20file

–> snips.toml file tested with:

I’ve tested the “Hello World” example: https://matrix-io.github.io/matrix-documentation/matrix-core/getting-started/python-installation/
–> Result was:helloworld

It looks, that my MATRIX Voice hardware (Mic Array) is not working properly or is broken? Any idea?

Many thanks.

Hi @IFE,

Glad you restarted your project! Let’s try to figure this out.

First, can you send me the output of uname -a? This will tell us the Linux kernel version of your Raspbian Stretch install. We need it to be 4.19. If it isn’t, please run

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

Then reboot.

What is the output of arecord -l? This will tell us the microphone hardware device numbers, aplay -l as you have shown above shows the available speaker outputs.

Finally, what is your output when you type dpkg -l | grep matrix in your terminal? This will tell us which MATRIX packages you have installed and their respective versions.

Then following the directions here, install the MATRIX kernel modules if you have not already, and try the recording commands listed there. If you are able to hear your recordings, your hardware is fine and we can troubleshoot for Snips from there!

FYI, we no longer develop for MATRIX Core, I would recommend trying MATRIX Lite. The syntax is much easier!

Best,
Samreen

Hi @Samreen

Thanks for the help. Here is my feedback.

First, can you send me the output of uname -a ?

Linux raspberrypi 4.19.66-v7+ #1253 SMP Thu Aug 15 11:49:46 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

What is the output of arecord -l ?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ arecord -l
    **** Liste der Hardware-Geräte (CAPTURE) ****
    Karte 1: Dummy [Dummy], Gerät 0: Dummy PCM [Dummy PCM]
      Sub-Geräte: 8/8
      Sub-Gerät #0: subdevice #0
      Sub-Gerät #1: subdevice #1
      Sub-Gerät #2: subdevice #2
      Sub-Gerät #3: subdevice #3
      Sub-Gerät #4: subdevice #4
      Sub-Gerät #5: subdevice #5
      Sub-Gerät #6: subdevice #6
      Sub-Gerät #7: subdevice #7

Finally, what is your output when you type dpkg -l | grep matrix in your terminal?

Then following the directions here, install the MATRIX kernel modules if you have not already, and try the recording commands listed there. If you are able to hear your recordings, your hardware is fine and we can troubleshoot for Snips from there!

–>I did that already and sound sounds strange!

FYI, we no longer develop for MATRIX Core, I would recommend trying MATRIX Lite. The syntax is much easier!

Ok nice to know. LITE replaces CORE is that correct, or which ressource is the best to understand the differences between all of yor frameworks (LITE; CORE; HAL etc.)

@IFE,

It seems for some reason that the matrixio-kernel-modules were not installed on your system (they are not one of the packages listed in dpkg -l | grep matrix). I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the MATRIX kernel modules. The uninstall will get rid of any traces of it so you will be re-installing it like fresh.

To uninstall

sudo apt purge matrixio-kernel-modules

Do a quick reboot after to ensure the changes go through

sudo reboot

Then re-install

sudo apt install matrixio-kernel-modules

Once again reboot for changes to go through

sudo reboot

Once the MATRIX kernel modules are properly installed, you should see MATRIXIO-SOUND card when you type arecord -l. Let me know how this goes.

Yes, MATRIX Lite can easily substitute MATRIX Core. In order to understand the differences between all of our programming layers, please scroll down on this overview page in our documentation. Let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
Samreen

Hi @Samreen

After re-install it looks a little bit better, but not good, as it should be.

catasound

sam test speaker –> OK

sam test microphone –> OK

After sam install demo and starting the demo, the output of the speaker doesn’t work propperly, altough sam test microphone was OK! It sounds “chopped”

Any idea?

Best

@IFE,

Now this looks like a more familiar problem :smiley:

The current Snips software release has some audio playback issues. I just added this section to the Snips set up guide for a workaround that has worked for me and many others. Please try it and let me know how it goes!

Best,
Samreen

@Samreen

Unfortunately it did not helped.

Best,
Marc

@IFE,

Now it is all about Snips troubleshooting since your MATRIX microphones are working.

Are you on the latest version of Snips? If not, I would recommend upgrading using one of the methods here.

After updating, you may need to double check if your /etc/asound.conf config and /etc/snips.toml config have been overwritten. If so, revert it back to what it should be.

It is also a safe bet to restart the snips-audio-server after making changes to the config files using the following command

sudo systemctl restart snips-audio-server

Hope this solves it. Let me know!

Best,
Samreen

@Samreen

thanks for your help! Following was the answer ans solved my problem:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-ge upgrade snips-platform-voice 

Best

2 Likes