Zigbee and Zwave modules

Hello everyone,

i just received my Matrix creator board. it looks great. i can’t wait to start using it.

i was wondering about the zigbee and zwave modules functionalities. are these receivers only or transmitters as well?
the reason i am asking is “can i control another Zigbee device from Matrix? a smart plug for example” can i create a controller for zigbee and zwave home devices?

Regards,

Rabih Maalouf

Hi rmaalouf,

The ZigBee and Z-Wave chips in the Matrix Creator are RX and TX capable. We are working hard to get certification for both to be able to release this functionality soon . You will be able to communicate with other zigbee devices (lights, smart plugs, others ) from the Matrix Creator.

For now you can start to interact to the on board sensors using the demos available in https://github.com/matrix-io/matrix-creator-quickstart/wiki/1.-Home.

Enjoy your Matrix Creator and let us know if you need any help !!

Yoel

Thank you for the reply Yoel.

will keep watching for the good news.

regards,

Rabih Maalouf

Hi Yoel,
Just so I am understanding this correctly, without the certifications the ZigBee and Z-wave functionality is not available at this time, is that right?
My need is a similar one - to create a controller for existing Zigbee and Z-wave sensors.
Please advice.
Thanks
-Sreedhar

HI Sreedhar,

We have Zigbee integration almost ready and we are working hard to make it available next week. You will be able to communicate with Zigbee bulbs like the Philips Hue Bulb and do stuff like turn them on, off and change the color. This is a very interesting capability of our board and we are committed to make it better each day.
Regarding ZWave we do need to wait to be certified to release any access to the radio. So that’s going to happen a lite bit later but in our road map for the Matrix Creator. We are currently working on certification in parallel to the ZigBee development.

So soon you will be able to integrate you Matrix Creator apps with many of your home smart devices.
We will write you here in the community once is released !

Yoel

Z-wave implementation details

What Z-wave chip are you using? Is there support for the European frequencies?

Is there update for the Zigbee? @yoelrc88

@jeroenveenvan The chip is SD3502A

@yoelrc88 How is the Z-Wave connected to the FPGA? I see the ZigBee connection but not the Z-Wave in the verilog. I am wondering if it is possible to use both ZigBee and Z-Wave simultaneously. I know there is only one UART to the Pi. Maybe one can go through the SAM3S.

For Zwave, when it will be certified, what is the goal to make the controller avalaible for an OpenZwave for exemple ?

Hi @rpress,
The Z-Wave is connected to the FPGA using a serial port. But the current FPGA firmware doesn’t have that connection yet, the Z-Wave functionalities will be release when we get the certification. We are working on that now.
Regarding the second question, yes, users will be able to use both at the same time.

Please enable both radios at least in Rx mode so we can sniff our environment and prepare for higher-level interaction later on. That should require minimal support (just a packet dumper) compared to device-specific Zigbee/Z-Wave monitoring and control.

Hi, saw your update is from January, is there a timeline on this yet?

Just bought the Matrix Creator One specifically for Z-wave support as listed on the website, didn’t realise you were still ‘waiting on certification’.

Looking to start a project within the next few weeks

Cheers

Hey guys, first of all: great work!
Being able to control my Z-Wave and Zigbee devices would be the major reason for me to buy a Matrix Creator since I am looking for some kind of smart hub… Do you have any updates on the certification process?
Looking forward to your response. It’ll be awesome, if I can order a Creator without having doubts that it’s going to support my Philips Hue bulbs and Z-Wave thermostats within the next weeks… :wink:

I bought it for Zigbee and Z-Wave late last year. Back in Sep '16 the word was “soon”. Don’t know about your definition, but 9 months does not equal soon. Can you guys release something?!

Soon = 16’Oct + 1 week in this case:-) But to be fair, getting a certification is something which might be out of your control.

Hey, are there any news for Zigbee and Zwave? I would like to get the matrix to build a almost complete smart hub for Home Assistant with it, but without Zigbee and Zwave working properly it is pretty useless for that purpose.

Almost seems like Zigbee and Zwave are not going to happen as it’s been about a year now :frowning:

You can use zigbee since a while now.
From MOS: https://matrix-io.github.io/matrix-documentation/API/zigbee/
From MALOS : use this JS as reference https://github.com/matrix-io/matrix-malos-zigbee/blob/master/src/js_test/test_zigbee.js

Probably you have to install malos-zigbee
sudo apt-get install matrix-creator-malos-zigbee

We are currently working on improving all the documentation.

Yoel

Well that’s good news, I must have missed that announcement.

Any word on Z-wave then?

Would love to use Matrix Creator to control openHab: https://www.openhab.org/

In case y’all missed this!

“MATRIX Labs Joins Z-Wave Alliance; Announces Z-Wave Plus Certification for MATRIX Creator IoT Development Platform”